Question: What is the Guru’s primary work?
Amma (Amma.org): “The Guru’s only purpose is to inspire the disciples and help them cultivate the faith and love necessary to reach the Goal. First and foremost, the Guru’s job is to light the flame of Self-enquiry or devotion to God in the disciple. Once lit, the Master’s next job is to keep the flame alive, protecting it from stormy nights and torrential rains of temptations. The disciple will learn the most important lessons of surrender and detachment through the inspiration of the Master’s life and actions. Finally, this will culminate in full surrender and transcendence.”
~ Amma (Mata Amritanandamayi Devi, Amma.org)
Amma’s approach is pure, deep, and comprehensive, and there are other Divine Beings who have offered similar aspects to the world, though most likely not as broad and profound.
In general, a Spiritual Guru’s primary work is to inspire, guide, mentor, and support individuals on their spiritual journey toward their Self-realization and enlightenment. In most cases, their lives are perfect embodiments of pure love and light.
Depending upon the Spiritual Guru (or Master or Avatar), this role can encompass a wide range of responsibilities and objectives, including:
- Teaching: Gurus provide spiritual teachings, wisdom, and insights derived from their own spiritual experiences and traditions to inspire the devotee or disciple to devote themselves to the person’s notion of God – and to encourage Self-inquiry.
- Pure Spiritual Gurus may offer instruction in meditation, philosophy, ethics, and practices designed to facilitate spiritual growth. The most valuable Spiritual Masters teach The Dharma and inspire their devotees to be Self-reliant, honest, and devoted to serving and loving humanity in some way.
- Mentoring And Counselling: Many Spiritual Gurus serve as inspiring mentors, teachers, and role models, offering guidance and support to their disciples or followers. They often help individuals navigate the challenges and obstacles encountered on the spiritual path.
- Many Spiritual Gurus often serve as spiritual counselors, helping individuals address personal and existential concerns, make ethical choices, and find purpose and meaning in life.
- Gurus inspire their followers by embodying spiritual values and principles in their own lives. Their example serves as a source of motivation for others to cultivate similar qualities and virtues.
- The most divine Spiritual Gurus are so clearly embodiments of The Divine, even new visitors will fall to their knees and bow to these pure Beings.
- Facilitating Self-Realization: Ultimately, a Spiritual Guru’s primary work is to assist individuals in realizing their true nature, often referred to as Self-realization or enlightenment. This involves helping individuals transcend ego, attachments, desires, and illusions to experience a deeper connection with The Divine or The Universe.
- Spiritual Practices: Gurus may introduce and teach specific spiritual practices, such as meditation, prayer, mantra repetition, or yoga, to help individuals deepen their connection to the divine and expand their spiritual awareness.
- In some traditions, Spiritual Gurus perform initiation ceremonies or rituals that mark a disciple’s commitment to a particular spiritual path or practice. These initiations are seen as a profound spiritual awakening.
- Spiritual Gurus may establish spiritual communities or ashrams where like-minded individuals can come together for study, meditation, and communal living in an environment conducive to spiritual growth. Their overarching goal is to help individuals process the roots of their pain, unattended emotions, and illusory desires and projections, and progress along their spiritual path.
- The result is that devotees experience greater inner peace, deep healing, wisdom, and spiritual fulfillment.
To begin your path toward Self-realization and enlightenment, explore the living and deceased Spiritual Gurus, Masters, and Avatars who have shared their light with the world.
My guru is Amma, also known as Mata Amritanandamayi Devi or The Hugging Saint, found HERE.
You can learn more about some of the more popular Spiritual Gurus in an article I wrote long ago – HERE.
Thank you for being with us! The Shankara Oracle is here to help.